What was filmed at Tyntesfield?

What was filmed at Tyntesfield?

Secrets of Sherlock filming revealed by Tyntesfield. The BBC drama was watched by more than eight million viewers on New Year’s Day. The series was transported back to Victorian times and Sherlock bosses felt Tyntesfield’s backdrop was perfect for filming.

Where was Doctor Who episode hide filmed?

The first to be filmed for the second half of the series — predating Coleman’s introduction as full-time companion in the Christmas special — “Hide” began filming in late May 2012 at Margam Country Park, Gethin Forest, and a National Trust property at Tyntesfield.

When did the National Trust buy Tyntesfield?

Formerly known as Tyntes Place, the estate – renamed Tyntesfield – was bought by William Gibbs in 1843. From 1863 the existing Georgian house was remodeled according to Gothic Revival principles and as a symbol of his Anglo-Catholic faith.

How did National Trust acquire Tyntesfield?

Tyntesfield is a Victorian Gothic Revival house and estate near Wraxall, North Somerset, England. Tyntesfield was purchased by the National Trust in June 2002, after a fundraising campaign to prevent it being sold to private interests and ensure it would be open to the public.

Who owned Tyntesfield House?

William Gibbs
When William Gibbs, whose fortune derived from the guano trade, purchased Tyntesfield in 1843, he acquired a symmetrical Georgian mansion built some thirty years before. In 1854 he commissioned John Gregory Crace to redesign the principal rooms, providing gilded panelling, moulding and wood carvings.

When was Tyntesfield bought by the National Trust?

Who owned Tyntesfield house?

Where is the Tyntesfield Estate in Somerset England?

Tyntesfield is a Victorian Gothic Revival house and estate near Wraxall, North Somerset, England. The house is a Grade I listed building named after the Tynte baronets, who had owned estates in the area since about 1500.

Who was the architect of the Tyntesfield House?

Rebuilding work did not begin in earnest until 1863, when William Gibbs had the property substantially remodelled in a Gothic Revival style. William Cubitt & Co. were the builders and John Norton was the architect. Norton’s design enveloped the original house. He added an extra floor, two new wings and towers.

When was the chapel added to Tyntesfield Estate?

The house and estate employed more than 500 workers. Gibbs’ final addition to Tyntesfield was added between 1872 and 1877, when he commissioned Arthur Blomfield to add a Gothic chapel to the north side of the house.

When was the Gibbs house in Tyntesfield built?

In the 1830s a Georgian mansion was built on the site, which was bought by English businessman William Gibbs, whose huge fortune came from guano used as fertilizer. In the 1860s Gibbs had the house significantly expanded and remodelled; a chapel was added in the 1870s. The Gibbs family owned the house until the death of Richard Gibbs in 2001.